PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian B737 runway overrun/crash
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2007, 16:15
theamrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sinbad1 – thanks for the technical clarification – I was a bit rusty on some of those details.

Few Cloudy – the guy has never claimed to be involved in the investigation – and in fairness, has never said anything to suggest he is.

As far as a ‘pinch of salt’ is concerned – probably good advice in general on PPrune....certain times requiring more salt than others. (ref. to my previous outburst).

Magplug – if by “the manner of Helios” you mean a scurrilous claim – then I would agree.
(Without prejudice to the cause of this accident!) - However, if that’s not what you mean, in any aircraft not fitted with the relevant warning devices by design (and subsequent relevant certification), how would the manufacturer be responsible in the case where the crew fail to monitor the approach (spec, the deployment of flaps on the flap position indicator) properly. In the case of flap lever movement – the complete responsibility lies with the crew to monitor that they get what they expect.

In the 737 there is NO centralised warning or attention-getter to the crew if the TE flaps fail to extend during deployment

GPWS “TOO LOW, FLAPS” – which monitors actual flap position – not the selected position. But then – this should be considered in the manner of a “secondary” warning – the primary being proper procedure on the part of the crew.

The consequence would be the operation of the aircraft, close to the ground, at a speed well below that required for the demanded flap config
Most likely – very difficult for the crew not to notice (pitch ‘n power). If, for example, flaps at 5,10 or 15 – and IAS well below Vref for that position (heading for Vref 30) – and in relatively calm winds and visual – pitch and power relationship will be out of odds with the ‘norm’ and the different ‘landing picture’ will also be a cue to the crew that something’s wrong. Very hard if ‘by accident’ and not done purposefully.

Flexibleresponse - sorry if seems some of the above might cut accross your post - which of course is a quite accurate commentary. I hadn't seen your post when i logged on.

Last edited by theamrad; 15th Mar 2007 at 16:26.