PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - travelling light
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2007, 16:07
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry about my light-hearted first post. I just meant to bring a little fun in this thread, which up to then wasn't even a thread at all...

As far as "moisturizing" goes, I do remain sceptical. I admit that those alu tubes are filled with relatively dry air, but so is the air in the Sahara, and these people do without creams as well. And seem to cope. After all, the skin is supposed to be a watertight barrier with sweat glands to let moisture out, but should not let moisture in, regardless whether it comes in form of a cream or anything else. And let's be honest - you probably will sweat more than the equivalent of a full bottle of cream on a typical flight. But do you apply a full bottle of cream to counter that? I think not. So I still trust the regulatory system of my skin more than the marketing plot of the likes of Nivea.

If you also think it delays the onset of wrinkles, well, watch the advertisements closely. In all ads they suggest that it prevents wrinkles, but actually never make the connection "this cream prevents wrinkles". That sentence is always missing. There simply isn't any scientific proof that it does, so they're not allowed to claim it. (For laughs, call the consumer information desk of your favourite cream and ask for the test reports about what they're allegedly claiming in the ads...)

Having said that, if putting something on your skin makes you feel good, fysically or psychologically, by all means go ahead. Just don't fall into the marketing trap they've set for you, that you absolutely cannot do without a day cream, a separate night cream, a separate face cream, a separate hand cream and whatnot. As SouBE does: Nivea Light for everything.