PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2007, 21:10
2close

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not as simple as that. The CAA, if they are in favour of the results, then have to take the proposal before a JAA Medical Review Board and it has to be voted on by all member states, the result of that vote deciding whether or not the new tests are introduced within JAA land.

The CAA has only one vote and is probably the most lenient of JAA member states on this front so it is anybody's guess whether the new tests will be adopted by JAA.

The CAA is also trying to persuade the FAA into joining the game and accepting the new test. As a member of US AOPA I have already made enquiries via US AOPA / FAA and, whilst the FAA have no intention in accepting any alternative test at present, should they do so in the future anyone who has passed the US lantern tests WILL NOT be required to retake the new test, which makes things sort of interesting. If the FAA and JAA colour vision tests are standardised and a person already holds an unrestricted, pre-standardisation FAA medical then the tick-in-the-box with the FAA as far as colour vision goes should then be accepted by the JAA....or will it?

I still think that the authorities are missing the point and that all that is happening is that one set of irrelevant tests are being substituted with another set of irrelevant tests, which in some respects are more discriminatory than the original tests. I personally feel that this is a waste of 'public' funding and will not stop legal action being taken against the CAA for discrimination.