PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Airport Security
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2007, 20:27
busty bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Anyone who works in security out there!?

I have never read such a load of about improving the current security systems!! Very disappointing!

As for the whole idea of putting tables and more notices up - believe me this does NOT work - passengers are not interested in reading notices and they think they know it all already, when in fact they know very little of the actual restrictions.

My problem is with the restrictions that were brought in by the DfT - as far as I can gather as a knee jerk reaction to the discovery of what may well have been a very real threat to flights leaving the UK.
The restrictions were brought in with very little if any thought to the practical and operation impact it would have on security areas, security staff work loads, and other airport staff for that matter - as well as the impact on the staff and crew and passengers being subjected to all the complicated restrictions which the DfT foolishly thought would be 'better' than a total ban on liquids.

I still maintain the problem is with the DfT and the fact that each and every airport is interpreting the regulations differently and enforcing them differently - which leads to the conflicts and confusions for all!

Perfect example is the shoe screening - I know for a fact that MAN tried to simplify the procedures some months ago to prevent a slow up of the pax throughput by designating dedicated 'shoe lanes'. They were promptly informed by the DfT that this was not compliant as someone could bypass the checks if they wanted... Yet as mentioned it is still being tried at other airports - there is just such a lack of joined up thinking between the airports and by the DfT who seem happy to let the airports 'make it up as they go along' until they decide they don't like it and they threaten deficiancy notices unless it is changed.

I point the finger with DfT and the goverment for not assisting the airports by consulting them in the first place. . . and then not making the restrictions clear to ensure all airport are keeping to same standard.

So how do we get to the DfT??