PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - fly-in-spain.com in Jerez
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2007, 14:58
badboy raggamuffin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my PPL with them last year, 48hrs total, first time pass, completed in about 6 weeks, would have been shorter had I not had to wait around for an examiner.
Firstly, they are difinitely licenced to conduct CAA training, the appear as BM aviation in the CAA training organisation list. They are basically two companies working side by side. Brian Mellor, a very exprienced and respected instructor and examiner runs BM aviaition, the flight training side of things, using Hans' (a german fella) planes. The planes belong to his company, fly-in-spain.
They have a mix of german and British instructors, who teach the British and german students respectively. The standard of the british instructors when I was there was quite high as Brian Mellor knows his stuff and keeps it all tight. I wouldnt recomend flying with the german instructors, as language and differences in methods could hold u back.

They have a fleet of C172s and a Piper Archer, generally well maintainedby their in house engineer.
One thing I liked about the place was that the guys there are very friendly and relaxed, I went out for drinks/ food with them in Jerez on numerous occasions. They all seemed to really love their flying and the place has a very chilled out and relaxed atmosphere.
The only thing I didnt like was that they are a bit disorganised when it comes to scheduling lessons. They seem to do it on a "take it as it comes" basis, which sometimes got a bit frustrating as they do not really stick to a rigid flying timetable, which can be both a good and a bad thing. They always had sufficient availability to fit me in every day though.
Price wise, my PPL worked out at about 4 and a half grand, quite a bit cheaper than the UK i think.
Also the flying in the local area is very nice, nearby Cordoba is a lovely airport, the local countryside is beautiful, and flying over the mountains on the way to granada at 7500 ft was an unforgetable experience. Plus you get to share an airport with Boeing 737s etc, very interesting if you are cleard to land and you hear a big jet established on 8 mile final! Get in quick and expedite runway exit!
Overall I recomend them highly, just dont expect them to be organised like clockwork, surprising given that they are germans!