PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian B737 runway overrun/crash
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2007, 12:54
theamrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox Niner -
copy/pasting
I agree completely with everything you say.

I know it’s kind of a mute point – I believe we would be dealing with GPWS and not the E- one. I know either way – the same functionality would exist in terms of flaps not at 30 etc.
Pressing the GROUND PROXIMITY FLAP OVERRIDE SWITCH without using a checklist
– I think that’s quite right – esp if done for “convenience” and not as part of pre-briefed procedure or non-normal reason. But then again – if ones intention was to do that “for convenience” in a too “hot and high” approach – your thinking would already be out of the box – and all it achieves is to silence the pending alarm – which you would anticipate to sound anyway for being “bold”.

PK-KAR,
I think I already know one of the scenarios you’re thinking of – just food for thought – it APPEARS to me that IF speed was so much out of the norm for ‘ordinary’ pax to notice/be alarmed - that we may be dealing with a speed above flap load relief activation – in which case we’d POSSIBLY be out of the flap 30 region anyway. At least, I think, in those circumstance, you’re looking at somewhere in region of 20 to 30 kts over?(don’t know Vref/weight). But as Fox Niner says – as the speed drops, at whatever stage, the load relief would cancel and drive down to whatever was selected. Again – just food for thought. Seems to me the GA scenario with one selecting GA flap is still a reasonable possibility at this stage.