PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bundle Branch Block and Class 1!!!
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2007, 06:42
aviationascent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am just going through all this!!!

today i found out that i may have WPW syndrome, or Wolff Parkinson White syndrome. This was found during a class one medical by my DAME. After having an eccocardiogram and stress test at the cardiologist, i have now been referred to an Electrophysiology Cardiologist who will conduct further tests. I do not suffer from any symptoms and have been saving for the past 3 years for an intergrated CPL with MECIR course that i was to start when i had my medical, to now find out it may have been in vein!

I have been so disheartened all day and now i won't find out for 3 weeks exactly where I stand. On the report from the original cardiologist it says that I have an incomplete RBBB and possible delta wave (V4). what ever that means.

the Electrophysiologist will asess me for whether i would benefit from a day surgery that uses radiofrequencies to eliminate possible conductors in the heart.

my dame says that CASA may not give me my class one medical and that he would be surprised if i would get employment with an airline, even if i had the surgery to normalise the condition IF it is concluded that i infact have the condition.

wondering if there are any airline pilots out there with the condition? i have read the CASA specs on if this occurs to a practising pilot. (it includes suspension from duties until the condition is normalised, then being restricted, with reviews at 6 months, 12 and 24 months then back to normal.) but how does it affect a wannabe?!

the casa documentation reads as follows:
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome
Class 1, 2 and 3 Medical Certificates
On diagnosis of the condition, inform CASA Aviation Medicine Section and advise applicant not to exercise the privileges of his/her licence until investigations have been
completed and results assessed as satisfactory by CASA.

Recertification
Investigations required for recertification are:
*Routine aviation medical examination
*Cardiologist’s assessment
*Electrophysiological studies.

If WPWS is confirmed, the applicant is assessed as unfit until radiofrequency ablation of aberrant conduction pathways has been performed and the treating cardiologist has certified that conduction has been normalised. All applicants may then be recertificated
for six months without restriction.

Subsequent Reviews
At six months, 12 months and 24 months post successful radiofrequency ablation of aberrant conduction pathways, the following are required:
*Routine aviation medical examination
*Cardiologist’s review.
If there is no recurrence of abnormal conduction within 24 months of successful radiofrequency ablation, further recertification without restriction should follow the normal
pattern for the applicant’s age and class of medical certificate.

Questions:
*Is this just going to pose too much of a problem re employment, making investing all this money on training a waste?
*If CASA says i'm fit then will the airlines base my wellbeing on this or conduct independent medical procedures and drag me over the coals about it for my entire career?
*Does anyone have any good news stories for me regarding similar situations?

Cheers all.