PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turning inbound in the holding pattern
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2007, 00:00
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mentioned intercepting the outbound of the approach from the inbound holding turn because usually during training/testing they like to see a hold performed and also as some of my sector entries are rough and I choose to do a lap to get settled, not for traffic.

My logic was.....

snip

.... I could do it in one move.
Sounds fair enough, smitty, but remember this -- the object of your CIR training is to teach you good basic IFR techniques. You will do an initial test to check that you are safe, and then you will be let loose to use and refine those techniques.

Be very careful that you do not develop your own 'technique' to cover an initial deficiency in your new IFR skills. The 'technique' or work-around might mean that you never address and fix the initial deficiency. We all had them, and those that worked on them became good pilots.

The more I fly, the more I realise the importance of good basic skills and knowledge, kept sharp by constant practice. There is no substitute.

I am cautious to not provide 'do this' advice over an internet forum, but I would encourage you to look at why it is that your sector entries are 'rough' and fix that with some armchair flying/MS flight sim/real practice, instead of seeking a less demanding alternate procedure.