PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side-slipping meduim jets.110K-190K lbs
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2007, 20:30
fluffyfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why would anyone want to side slip a heavy jet, maybe you could consider it a sideslip during the flare as you round out and kick the nose straight, but hardly.
Something of interest I saw on Discovery the other day was the crash of American Airlines Flight 587 A300-600 just after take off, the first officer was flying and he had been taught to recover from unusual attitudes using rudder along with the other controls of course, after flying through the wake turbulence of a 747 and finding himself in an unusual attitude he enthusiastically applied full rudder deflection one way, then the other way, the aircraft swinginging wildly from side to side he believed he was stuck in the turbulence and proceeded to apply another 3 rudder applications (only 5 full deflections), it was at this point that the vertical stab separated and the aircraft plunged to the ground killing everyone on board. Now knowing this why oh why would you want to put an heavy passenger aircraft into a sideslip and put forces on the tail that it may not have been designed for? just a question, I will however look in the manuals and see what Boeing says about sideslip, maybe its ok I dont know, but I wont be trying it.

Last edited by fluffyfan; 15th Mar 2007 at 20:09.