PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taxes
Thread: Taxes
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2007, 12:41
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Devil

gdiphil I would gladly join an informal research team on this. Last year, I was making a 5-day extended weekend trip to Holland with a friend. I intended to use AirMiles (the company of that name) and compared with BA for the self same rotations. Naturally, I found the same problem.

I emailed A.M. for a breakdown of the charges (without explaining why) but it was an inconclusive reply that did not break it down in sufficient detail. Largely using the "We have to do what the airlines/airport/govt tell us" excuse. I booked with EZY and paid less.

I have stopped collecting AMs and will use them up at some time but, in the past two years, I have priced several trips of short/medium and long haul and they NEVER stack up as being good value. At one time they used to be but they appear to have reached the usual level of complacency/arrogance.

If we think about the way in which a consumer based information project on the web and word of mouth has led to banks having to refund false charges ... what chance we can start one for add-on charges by agents and rebookers?

My guess is that airlines are going to be fairly 'clean' on this as they set the charge and if you don't like it then you don't fly but the problem is companies lower on the food chain that have to pass on those charges and inflate them as there is no simple place to compare and reconcile. Given that 99% of flights are now bookable on line, we can gather data for separate 'flights' that are operated on identical rotations by a range of agents and compare them on line. The fees, surcharges and taxes SHOULD be identical.

The only obligation of the web site is to provide a Click Here box to see the breakdown but the breakdowns vary from one to another and they ought to be identical. Some agents do not tell you which flight number you are on when preparing the booking and that is sufficient for me not to book with them.

Lastly, the surcharge for using a credit card - this also varies enormously. Some charge per booking and some per seat. It can be £1.50 and it can be £3.00. The companies will say that they get different fees from the card companies and that the fee they pay is confidential and we know that the overall cost of some LoCos is still lower than the legacy carriers and so people will travel BUT isn't it worth a shot?