PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC - Who gets a job?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2007, 10:51
trainee99

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi. I wrote a good long reply yesterday only for my internet connection to die and lose it all. So in summary - my experience with CTC was very good - first rate facilities and pretty much all of the instructors were very good, especially the uk ones - there are plenty of great instructors in Hamilton too though and most importantly no old school - make you feel stupid for making silly mistakes ones - just a good professional atmosphere. I got delivered to the right hand seat of an A319, so no problems there - although it was 6 months late due to weather, training capacity problems both in CTC and my current airline. No real problems there either and they did look after us, but they didn't have to and it's accepted that it's the airline and not the cadet that is the customer - you're CTC's product, unlike with any other FTO - i think that this has it's pros and cons form a trainee perspective. I think that the issues we faced (apart from weather of course) have been resolved now, but aviation being aviation, I'm sure there will always be others. Besides, it did mean that in NZ, by working hard, some gaps appeared between training phases and I got to go to the south island twice as well as plenty of skiing, surfing and generally seeing the country - i doubt there's much opportunity to do this now - maybe someone in Clearways now can give a better idea. The accomodation out there was fine, but their new place is apparently fantastic and as far as i know there is an internet connection which is still the continuous subject of contention with people trying to go solo to bust the download limit etc! Course structure for us was fine, it did the job of course, but while we were going through, they often changed bits which was a bit frustrating - it was all aimed at making the course integrated which i think it officially is now so maybe it's a bit more settled.. I think, and reading these forums just reinforces, that going for a flying job you have to give yourself the best chance you can of getting a position at the end of it - there's always risks and if you don't meet the standard ctc do occasionally drop cadets and then there's potential to be left in debt like with any other course, but you will get a job if you get through so i think that CTC or at least a mentored scheme of some sort is a must.. Feel free to pm me if you want more info.. t99