PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference between Airbus and Boeing controls
Old 13th Mar 2007, 08:54
flap15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Veruka points out the side stick is not an issue as far as the conversion goes, even for the natural right hander in the left seat. This had been a concern prior to the simulator and I was quite surprised that it was totaly natural and instinctive.

My personal headache was the FMS. Having flown the 737-300/700 for five years, what I used to do in the Boeing on the FMS does not allways follow through for the Airbus FMS. One big thing I miss was the ability to line select to the scratch pad, amend and reinsert. At times I felt that Airbus deliberetly chose to do somthing in the opposite fashion to Boeing just to different. However once you can find your way around this box of tricks, the day to day operation in a multi sector environment is a joy. The cockpit setup is quicker than the Boeing, there is more room to work in and it is much quiter. I do miss the Boeing when a strong cross wind is around though and the ability to feel what inputs a low houred F/O has enterd rather than see an attitude change afterwards. This can be a little interesting at 30 feet !!