PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Ground Staff In The Regions
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2007, 08:48
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a long time observer of BA and LHR Unions treatment of Regional Ground Staff, my views are as follows:

Whenever there was a problem at LHR the Unions would 'demand' support from the regions, however whenever a problem at one of the regional airports the Heathrow Unions appeared uninterested.

This was compunded by Managment who 'hardly noticed' their regional assets unless it was time for a round of cost cutting.

With outsourcing now almost a religious mantra in UK Industry, it was perhaps inevitable that Ground Handling in the regions would be a target awaiting the right moment

The takeover by Flybe of BA Connect, as this provided from the company viewpoint the ideal opportunity to 'tidy up' the entire situation.

Perhaps the only surprise is that they didn't bite the Gatwick bullet at the sametime, although I suspect they are next on the list.

Finally a very long time ago when I and my then team spent a week at the NEC we had many reasons to be grateful to BA BHX for providing the BHX end of our support lifeline.
During this short period I learned enough of their situation as a station to realise their problems were effectively ignored by the Company and from their (gaurded) comments, that this appeared to apply to most other regional airports on the BA network.

As they obviously cared and from observation provided excellent service both in the terminal and on the ramp (as well as providing help 'above and beyond' to us cuckoos) this seemed a short sighted approach by Management.

Good People should matter, high standards of service must matter, but it appears Companies never learn the cost, until both have gone.