PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas FA of 32 years sacked over chocolates....
Old 13th Mar 2007, 07:09
air doris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was always told when I started flying years ago and with several carriers that no airline property is to leave the aircraft, not even your crew food/drink or it's your job. This is something I have always tried to adhere to and I just don't see the point when you are paid allowances to cover your expences. Really what is a bottle of water or a tea bag (or a chocolate) out of your money compared to the cost to the airline if it was deemed ok for all of us to do this? I completely understand the company point of view (even though these chocs would have been diced anyway) however, don't we all carry the odd sachet of "brenclear" in our pocket, you know a pax asks for one so you take three incase someone else wants one, the pens (which should be provided anyway) and now I'm worrying about the pile of coat tags I have. These items "are" essential work tools that do inadvertadently end up in your pocket after work, I'm sure we all have them and my god what use are they to us out side of work anyway, the pens dont work. Sure the odd chocky in your pocket could be deemed a mistake but to have that amount and found in your bag sounds to me like these were intended for future use. They are delicious. My point is just don't put yourself in this position where the company can accuse you of theft. I know it's only chocolate but why put them in your bag? Even if he had intended to use them on future flights whats the point when they have to be declared to customs. Yes you have to declare food to Japanese customs just like Australia. If the searches among crew have been so prevelent that should have been a deterrant. I still see so many crew taking the odd thing here and there, really it is not worth your job, especially if you have been flying as long as the accused.