PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad in flight engine fail
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2007, 23:19
4HolerPoler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was on the frequency as well - the north-bound Etihad guy called a PAN, requesting immediate descent and the reaction from Jeddah was regretfully, entirely predictable - absolutely nothing. They called again. Nothing. They made a third call and Jeddah made a garbled response with a request for their callsign - this after they'd clearly announced their callsign three times in the past minute.

The EY guy who'd been really cool was loosing it & told Jeddah that he was out of his cruising altitude, descending 250. Jeddah said that was fine with them but still sounded like they didn't have a clue why they wanted to descend.

It finally dawned on our man in Jeddah that something was amiss & it was now that he chose to call the EY - three times in ten seconds - the guys were obviously busy with things like checklists & speaking with the crew and/or pax and didn't respond immediately to the call.

They had a decreasing oil quantity - I don't know if it was real or an indication issue; last I heard them they were going into Amman with the affected engine at idle.

In summary - a well annunciated call goes completely over their heads because it is not the usual position report and it takes a while for them to catch up, at which time they want to know every last detail oblivious to the fact that the crew is busy dealing with the situation. Surprised?

4HP