PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Coming to Town
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2007, 14:44
fistfokker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I attended the Brisbane recruitment seminar.
25 Direct Entry Captains required by October this year. No more expected after that. This is inspite of 160 pilots wanted this year and 500 next year. Work that out. DEC's only required for B777. No waiver on 3000hrs above 55 tonnes.
I have 4500rs jet command time but only 500hrs above 55 tonnes. I would only be considered for an F.O. position. This does not sound like a Company running short of crew, to me. That may well be the case.
Nor would I take it away from the many F.O.s aspiring to command in Emirates, understandably, they should have first go.
I was amazed at the low remuneration on offer. Less gross than a J* pilot. The only differences being taxation treatment and accommodation supplied. And people put **** on J* salaries. A Jet* pilot actually costs the company more than an Emirates pilot in pure salary terms. I do understand that accommodation and school fees etc' combine to form an expatriate enticement. But seriously, why would people leave Oz to work for that small difference.
Especially when considered along with the recruitment process.
Yes, there is a shortage of experienced pilots emerging, but it still has along way to go and will require the collective will of all pilots to ensure that real benefits flow to pilots as a result of that shortage.