PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 30 September 1975 Beirut - Malev
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2007, 09:48
Info Search

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30 September 1975 Beirut - Malev

Trying to get info on incident that took place 30 September 1975.
At 00:40 there was contact between the Tower of Beirut and two planes who stood on the tarmac: the KL 845 and the TL 223 (cargo plane of TMA). I am trying to find the pilots or anyone who has info because of the following.
At 00:44 was the last contact between the Malev 240 and the tower of Beirut. The plane went down minutes after that, just 10 km off the coast where the airport was located. There were 60 people on board, one of whom was my father.
Wikipedia has some information and there is article on "lost flight 240" but
the incident is still labeled "cause unknown". There was never any investigation to speak of, no black boxes retreival, passengers' list still classified and now "lost" etc etc. Only just last month got the info that 37 bodies have been retreived from the sea. RAF which was based on cyprus and carried localisation flight (rest info at historical branch) and USA navy 6th fleet who was nearby (rest info now at CIA) are not giving info because of "secrecy act". Debris shows plane was shot down (external explosion, not internal source). What happened and where are my father's remains (and that of so many others). Who knows something? Please help and let me know.