PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR First S-92
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2007, 06:59
[email protected]

Received 651 Likes on 286 Posts
Cyclic, thankyou for answering the question, I assumed it would all be pukka but without access to the relevant documents I couldn't be sure. The prospect of North Sea operating has never attracted me or I would have done it years ago - all that nasty icing and no NVG for the night approaches - you can keep it!

Jknife - frankly in the days you are talking about, I am surprised anyone saw anything on the radar screen, that old round display with the acetate overlays was just awful. The modern CRT screen with digital mapping is much better (I'm not saying a target can't be missed but it is far less likely).

It may be a small proportion of rescues that need the capability but, like so many other things, it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. The next time the hooter goes it could be for a yacht with a family aboard being smashed onto rocks with an onshore wind and big cliffs in warm sector weather conditions.

Do the MCA have an SOP for IMC cliff letdowns?

We don't use our FLIR/TV turret for a lot of rescues but it increases our operational capability enormously.

Yes NVG are used at night but they don't help IMC