PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian B737 runway overrun/crash
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2007, 20:51
PK-KAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One indicating the occurrence at 1,000 AGL – and a separate one suggesting it happened much nearer to the ground.
Well, no mention about odd winds on the ATC... I can now confirm that... the transmissions between the aircraft and ATC are:

23:55
T GIA200: Adi Tower, Indonesia 200, selamat pagi
T TOWER: Selamat Pagi Indonesia 200, surface wind calm, continue approach runway 09, Report final, traffic one Bravo on line up position.
T GIA200: Continue approach, check final, copy traffic, Indonesia 200

23:56
T TOWER: Indonesia 200, Wind Calm, check gear down and lock, cleared to land.
T GIA200: Cleared to land, Indonesia 200

No other transmissions between GA200 and the Tower. (the gear down and lock is likely as a habit of JOG ATC, since they're military and serve a lot of military student pilots based at the airport).

Accident happened at 23:57:50...

At 23:56, something happened...
T TOWER: Bravo errr... Indonesia 406... (radio interference/scramble/static)... s... s...

and

T TOWER: Indonesia ahhhh, J-406, contact Jogja Approach Sir

This indicates a possibility the tower was startled at seeing the GA, while the J-406 traffic was already airborne.

If you are correct about flaps 30 landing – we’re still at a loss as to why the approach was apparently/reportedly so fast. It’s a pity – but it seems none of the witnesses onboard have said anything about flap position when landing (that I know of).
Well, that's still what's baffling...

When we landed at Jakarta two engineers who were also passengers on board asked me what I thought of the extraordinary take off. Apparently at the start of the T/O the flaps were still up and were running out to the T/O setting all the way until rotate.
U sure they weren't pulling your leg?

the engines were spooled up just a little too soon while early in the lining up turn. Quite a lot of acceleration with more than just a few degrees turn left to make!
I've had that a few times too...

Cheers,

PK-KAR