PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dangers of Unstable approaches - Getting the message across.
Old 11th Mar 2007, 20:34
galaxy flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Years ago, at KCHS Base Ops, flight planning to Howard AFB, talked to C-141 crew going to Gitmo. Asked about certification for the crew, they were old hands and said, and I quote, "Landing east, I just put the right wingtip on the strobe at the end of the fence and turn final." Innocently, I noted that they were in Castro's Cuba, not Uncle Sam's. "Yes, and they haven't shot at me, yet."

Castro actually allowed ops at that end during the great terrorist prisoner lift from the 'Stans, so mebbe he ain't so bad afterall. C-5 crews were certification (IP trained and observed with 2-year currency) for east landings, no restrictions to the west. Missions planned to operate prior to the wind shift.

It is amazing to read about accidents like SWA at BUR, how far a crew will push it. I landed in BOM last fall 2000m in thick haze and smog, took a very steep approach to make the landing to the NW after finding the runway at MDA and about 2000m! MDA is about 550 feet as I remember.

GF