PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dangers of Unstable approaches - Getting the message across.
Old 11th Mar 2007, 15:25
Willit Run

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My screen name on our company BB is Hi"N"Fast, because it's funny. Another good friends e-mail address was "2 dots low", because it was funny! They are funny because we can laugh at ourselves. We have all been there at one time or another in our career. We learn from these mistakes if we are honest with ourselves. The key to trying to rescue an unstable approach is to set a limit and stick to it. Try and rescue it, but at your limit or the company limit, GO AROUND! I think most companies have a 1000' limit, some have 1500' some have 500'. If its clear VFR, 500' is good for me. If its nasty, use 1000'.
Check your ego at the door. We are humans and that means we all screw up! Just try and learn from your mistakes.
Another thing is, we are all being trained to be monkeys, Follow your sop's to the "T". Well, the real world doesn't always mesh with all the SOP's out there. Many people don't really know what the plane can do because we have been locked into our SOP's for so long, we can't think for ourselves and don't get the chance to really fly our craft.
We are being given fuel loads that make our stomachs queasy because we are trying to save money by not carrying enough fuel. Some desk jockey tells us how much fuel we have to carry, and when the time comes to do a GA for whatever reason, fuel gets really tight. We shouldn't feel scared to do a GA due to lack of fuel.

thats my sunday morning drivel!