PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot jailed (alcoholism & pilots)
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2007, 03:53
swilly300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drunk Flying

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I am a Private Pilot, got my ticket at 18 in 1976, 40.0 hrs, not that I was that good, but unique- 40.0 hrs? Every pilot I talk to got theirs at 40.1 or 45.1, or 50.1, If anybody got theirs at 40.0, please let me know. OK, drunk flying. I got my training at Ohio University and it was well known as a "party school". I think the Aviation Dept was top notch, and I feel I had the best training. One night, a pilot and friend, met me at one of the many uptown bars. I was well into the evening, he had -0 drinks-. He says "lets go flying". No way, 12hrs from bottle to throttle. He said, "thats why I going to take you up tonight." OK, lets go. I could T/O and fly the C-152 just fine, but when it came to the landing. I was way off, maybe 30' high on the flare (ground fog). My friend saved the day and took over the controls (that is why we went up). I was embarrased. I have had some bad landings, but that would have been the worst. I learned that night, drinking and flying don't mix well. We tied down the plane, and then we had some beers together. He now is a most senior pilot for a major airline. I drink, and I fly, but not at the same time. Should my little 1/2 hr flight be part of our training. I don't think so, but maybe. It changed me. I cannot do both at the same time. I can fly, or I can drink. I do both, but not at the same time. My opinion.

Last edited by swilly300; 13th Mar 2007 at 04:14.