PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why cant we low timers CFIs get a job?
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2007, 14:55
Hiro Protagonist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
simple research would have told you that r22 cfis need to be under 180lbs
Where I taught we had 15 instructors, and most were between 190 and 210 lbs. so that research would have been simple indeed. From what I remember, most r22s will be on the edge of the cg envelope with 400 lbs in the seats, so myself at 195 lbs. could fly with students up to 205 lbs. in most of our aircraft (with about one hour twenty minutes fuel to reach max gross weight.

simple research would have told you that many schools use pathfinder insurance and hence, require 300 hours.
Simple research may well show that NOW, but we don't know when TT decided to get into this racket, and this requirement is very new. I started training in '01, and the standard practice in the US was to hire CFIs at 200 hours. I taught in '04/'05, and this was still the case then, though it was starting to change. For someone who has already made the huge commitment of $50 or $60k to get 200 hours to suddenly be required to pay fifty percent more....well I'm glad it didn't happen to me, as I'd have been grounded.

TT, look for schools flying Bell 47s or Schweizer 300s as your size wont be an issue anymore. Some small schools around the US are flying 47s, but you probably wont easily find them on the internet as they show signs of not rapidly modernizing their operations

Good Luck.