PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting PPL in north west
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2007, 12:27
maxdrypower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes it is true over the winter months barton can an dos get waterlogged . This is the same of any grass airfield unfortunately. You will lose flying due to this and other considerations not prevalent on a tarmac strip. But you may well lose days anywhere else due to weather in the same way , flying has and always will be a bit of a lottery thats just part of it mate. Unfortunately Lancs aero club is closing this very month however there are still phoenix rising from the ashes but im not sur of the details . I am in an aircraft group there that caters for ppl training and also has a base in blackpool and when its up and ruinning properly if barton is closed you may then goot blackpool check out aircraftgrouping.com. As for landing anywhere , yeh you can I learnt at Brize Norton and then liverpool with great long concrete runways , landing at first is never easy but it is made considerably easier by bein able o ahv a few goes off the same approach . I had 130 hrs when i went to barton but had never done a real short field to or landing , it took me three goes just to get the glide[ath right and a further two to actually land there . IMHO it does increase your skills and handling but it is a different technique to a long runway landing . Barton is a great little field with some great people and you wont got wrong learning there . Just remeber the chances of getting in a barton if you learn at blackpool are far less than the other way round. By the ned of your ppl training you will have landed on allsorts anyway so its all toold for the box , good luck in whatever you decide to do but do do it flying aeroplanes is just a great feeling , go for it