PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garuda Flight crew SIM/Line checks
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2007, 06:44
Chocks Away

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree ZFT. It will take some years for the efforts to be realised fully though i guess.
Speaking from personal experience gained from extensive flying around Indonesia and Malaysia during the Tsunami Relief, there are huge and extensive deficiencies in Indonesias systems.
Witnessed every day at Medan (a long runway), amoungst others, were consistent fast landings, long landings and unstable approaches by all local carriers. Smoking brakes were a regular site.
Together with this is the ATC procedure to give YOU a turn (on Dep or Arrive), THEN give the aircraft in your way the corrective manouevre! So, ATC ends up turning you into known traffic, not a vacant space!
Now I could handle stacks on the ILS hold up 7 levels, with opposite direction landings and takeoffs on the one runway, once visual, low level, in the smog/haze (had to be on the ball!)... but this ATC practice just wasn't logical and when radio traffic jammed ATC's transmissions, it came close on many occasions!
I hope ATC has adapted procedure but doubt they have... that's just the way it is there...