PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO introducing MP License
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2007, 05:48
neville_nobody

Received 153 Likes on 68 Posts
As far as airlines like China Southern, China Eastern, Air China, China Airlines, Eva, Emirates, Vietnam Airlines, Korean, JAL, CATHAY the MPL is fantastic because it means it will be cheaper to train their FO's than flying around in a Learjet, and they will come from training ready to go. MPL training will be done on type not generic, however I don't believe the standard will be any better than what they get now. Don't forget though these airlines PAY THEIR CADETS TO TRAIN!!

For places like Australia and the USA it will mean the cost of flying training will basically double if everything was to go to MPL. Airlines will have to pay for an MPL because it's to expensive. The other issue is standards. Of the guys that meet your requirements how many will be happy to pay $250 000 for a $50 000 SO slot?? I doubt you'd even pay the bills with that sort of debt hanging around.

Don't forget that Dixon and Co get a free ride when it comes to pilots compared to Asian carriers. Something that he always seems forget whenever he starts telling the press that QF pilots are overpaid. I wish someone would bring this point out whenever discussing pilot pay.

And if the MPL is so good how come the USA isn't touching it with a proverbial barge pole?