PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue EBA
Thread: Virgin Blue EBA
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2007, 03:18
320subria

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me one of the most worrying points in the proposed EBA is the fact that Virgin will be able to employ or engage casual cabin crew and cabin crew on maximum term contracts (see 3.14.5 and 3.14.6). What will probably happen in my opinion is that all new cabin crew will be employed on contracts under very different working conditions (like Qantas has done with MAM), thereby creating a divide in the workforce and a loss of secure permanent full time jobs and those conditions that go with permanent full time jobs such as annual leave, long service leave, maternity leave etc. And yes thanks to our federal government AWA's will become the norm. I will be voting NO based purely on this point (though there are not many positive notes in the proposed EBA anyway). Though Virgin has been responsible for creating many wonderful opportunities since its inception in 2000 (though helped in part by the collapse of Ansett), it is also responsible for eroding conditions in the industry that existed prior to its entry. I am very much interested in ensuring this company remains viable and successful but not at the continual expense of workplace conditions. They reduced the crew complement and we have had to adjust to these new working conditions and what reward have we received for the millions of dollars we are saving the company.....NOTHING!!