PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why cant we low timers CFIs get a job?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2007, 22:52
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ToTall, unfortunately your prospects in the U.S. are looking more grim by the hour. Your weight is a bigger problem than your low experience because a high percentage of your students will be heavy also, and 2 heavy pax in an R22 just doesn't work even with small fuel loads. A flight school isn't going to hire you unless you can fly with any of its students. I'm guessing you're not that much over your ideal BMI weight for your height, so to lose the 70+ lbs that you need to lose is an unhealthy if not impossible option.

The other thing that is a bigger problem than your low experience is a Norweigen accent. I have previously flown with 2 other Norweigen pilots and their accent is almost impossible to understand. I can understand Chinese pilots far more easily than Norweigen! If a student has difficulty in understanding normal conversation then imparting critical knowledge in the pressure cooker environment of the cockpit will be problematic. A student won't want to pay for an instructor he has difficulty understanding.

So there you have it; 3 insurmountable problems to overcome, weight, accent and low experience. Unless of course you find a school with an International contract to train light weight Norweigen pilots, then you only have the low experience problem to overcome!

With all this in mind I'm very surprised you started out on this adventure in the first place. But I admire your dedication.