PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why cant we low timers CFIs get a job?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2007, 22:44
Lightning_Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ToTall,

Getting that first instructors job is very difficult. You have lots of things against you and not much to offer. A lot of people here have been in that same situation, including myself. As far as who is the best instructor, a 200 hour of 5000+ hour guy (or gal) I don’t know. I suppose it can depend on who you are teaching. When I was doing my initial training I had instructors who ranged between both scales. The high hour pilots had experience to offer, the newer guys had all the theory and techniques fresh in their brain.
But what you do have to offer, is your personality and dedication to your employer and student. My 200 hour instructor was VERY well organised, flexible and accommodating and in return, didn’t stay at 200 hours for long.
I’m sure in your short flying career you have experienced both good and bad instructors and hopefully learned from them all. To be honest, you’ll learn a lot more being an instructor, than you did as a student!

My simple advise, as philj said, get yourself on a road trip. Go visit the training schools and speak to the chief pilots. Show them your lesson plans, show them you are the man for the job and that you’ll work your arse off to live up to your promise. Be honest about what you know and what you have done. A lot of the CP’s know each other and may know if there are jobs becoming available. If nothing else, the trip should be good fun and an experience in itself.

Good luck and give um hell!!!!

LB