PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawaii tour helicopter crash kills 4 (now incl photographs)
Old 9th Mar 2007, 18:44
reggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A tragic event for Heli USA...

I was in Princeville last week and took an island tour with them. Their operation was extremely professional, well run and very safety oriented. We had a full load of passengers from Canada. Our pilot was either German or Dutch, very capable, experienced and safe. He mentioned that Heli USA flew at higher altitudes than some of the other operators on Kauai because of safety concerns in the event of an emergency landing situation. They had at least three helicopters there in Princeville, one in mx, undergoing what appeared to be a 'D' check, one parked on the ramp, and the one we were flying. I am not sure how a hydraulic failure affects an emergency landing/auto-rotation, but noticed that the pilot had the presence of mind to deploy and inflate the skid floats to try and cushion the landing. It was obviously not enough. To all of the passengers aboard and their families, to the pilot and his family, and to all of the fine employees at Heli USA, you are in my thoughts and prayers.