PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian B737 runway overrun/crash
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2007, 10:36
Sinbad1

Unhappy PK-KAR - no offence taken

Dear PK-KAR, Thank you for your humility. I assure you no offence was taken. I take it you work for the company. It must be a terrible time for all. As for the bounce, normally when an aircraft comes hard and bounces, especially the nose gear, tends to have a recoil action which means the oleo leg compresses and bounces off the ground and could cause the geometry downlock to break, and that would collapse the nose gear for sure.
If you remember last year Lufthansa 747-400 collapsed its nose gear at the gate, Eva Air at Heathrow 747-400 and the Fokker 27 of SAS had oleo nose collapse. I think PPRune would have a picture of that in their archive.
As for the ground spoiler getting fully deployed, on the 737 they have on the right hand main gear a cable called "ground spoiler interlock" which as soon as the undercarriage hits the tarmac, it actuates the ground spoiler immediately, and the thrust reverser action is purely pilot command.
Finally, I sincerely feel for all of you guys and hope some lessons come out of this terrible tragedy.