PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Separation from unknown VFR traffic
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2007, 09:31
Jumbo Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFR Separation from unknown VFR traffic

I have a question for you ATCO experts, based loosely on a reported occurrence to a colleague in my local area.

You are controlling Radar Approach in a Class D Zone, which has an overhanging CTA extending out beyond the Zone limits. Within that "overhang" area you see what appears to be VFR traffic (squawking A7000 but no Mode C) which is outside the Zone but within the lateral confines of the CTA. The chances are that this traffic is within the Class G area beneath the CTA but, without Mode C, you cannot be sure as the traffic is not working your frequency. You then have an inbound IFR (Identified Mode A, verified Mode C) to your instrument runway and its normal track will conflict laterally with the VFR traffic. What do you do?

As you cannot be sure of vertical separation, do you vector your inbound IFR traffic around the A7000 traffic, to ensure horizontal separation, or do you make the assumption that the A7000 traffic is OCAS and maintain only vertical separation with the base of your CTA at that point?

I have looked through MATS Part 1 for guidance (vide Sec.1, Ch.5, para.14) but cannot find the answer and I am guessing that the principle is such that it wouldn't be in the local MATS Part 2 (to which I wouldn't have access).

Can someone please tell me how this is dealt with in practice and point me in the direction of where guidance is to be found?

Anticipatory thanks

Jumbo Driver