PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian B737 runway overrun/crash
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2007, 08:55
Sinbad1

Wink Misunderstanding

Capn Bloggs "So? Chuck Yeager still makes mistakes."

I think you have misunderstood my posting big time. I was not having a dig at the flight crew, when I referred to the pilot knowing his landing by heart, I was trying to eliminate any mistake with regards to his landing calculation. After all the pilot has 22 years experience. Also looking at wreckage, the first question I asked "I wonder if the flight crew are alive?!" Believe me I was very happy to find out they survived. I was mainly saying how was it possible that the flight crew managed to help under the circumstances given the state of the wreckage?!! Obviously the pictures must have been taken after the fire have consumed most of the fuselage. When I saw the footage on Euronews and watching the Pax scrambling out of the aircraft I thought that was as close as you can get it. I have been working, advising and flying with pilots for decades, most of them are great, some are not so great. My personal well wishes goes to the recovering Pax, FLIGHT CREW, and of course the unknown heroes the cabin crew.

As far as the flap is concerned, this is not the first aircraft that may or may not suffer such condition. In fact the 747 classics and the 400 often suffer such incidents, especially after a hangar check due to rags left in the sailboat which obstructs the cable run. However, your point is valid with regards to the flap setting. My comments about asymmetry was in response to posts on PPRune (Porrohman page 6) and the fact that the captain of the Garuda flight told his chief pilot that he could not extend his flap (see Bear11 page 6).

With regards to the Hard Landing, NO not all aircraft suffer the Adam Air fate after hard landing (God knows how many hard landings I have inspected following inbound flight over the years), but if you read the statement coming out from the chief pilot, taking in to account the latest statement from the Civil Aviation Safety body of Indonesia in their finding evidence of debris left on the runway from the nose gear, the initial hard landing (and forgive me for saying this) would be on the main wheel first, not the nose wheel, would it not??

PK-KAR

Thank you for your explanation, When I said the slide was not deployed or armed , I was stating facts in reference to a post on this website and in no way I was criticising the cabin crew action. I know how hard those boys and girls work under normal circumstances, especially during a long haul flight let alone under crash conditions. The cabin crew as far as I am concerned are the real heroes of this terrible accident. I am sure all the crew followed the procedures as they saw fit.