PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - choices choices
Thread: choices choices
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2007, 08:06
the dean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stevo,

i have instructed in 150/152/172/172xp/pa28/38 etc over the years and now in 172 with the diesel engine...and i would prefer to learn in ..first...an aircraft that was not too easy to fly..and second with FADEC..i feel that you are best with something that has all the old things and then try the new.

if you learn the new..you almost will still fly one of the older types at some stage..since there still are relatively few glass cockpit and FADEC equipped things about...and i'll bet you will forget to do mag checks...land without carb heat...forget to lean the mixture etc etc....whereas if you do it the other way round...you are less likely to forget in the event of reverting to the older model at some stage...

having said that, of course, as people move on and times do and equipment changes they have to use whats available...for instance i would not expect that all airline pilots of the future flying the very latest will have started off in a tiger moth. times move on. sooner or later as more glass cockpit trainers are available and less of the old steam engined ones are around then people will of necessity learn on glass cockpit and FADEC aircraft and never know the older ones.

you are lucky...you stll have a chance to do both...take it and be part of the nostalgia that goes with it..( not many of us can say ' i learned on a tail dragger ' . i did and i would'nt change that for the world..!!. it does'nt necessarily make me a netter pilot but i enjoyed it..

in the end it is a matter of choice. the diamond wo'nt make you get your licence any faster....but i would'nt miss the opportunity or challange to fly things that might take a little more to handle. i think you will reap the reward for doing it..

one way or the other..good luck..

gear up.

the dean.