PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian B737 runway overrun/crash
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2007, 03:44
PK-KAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theamrad,
Casper, I can only find one other event similar (runway excursion) to this one in reasonable near history - maybe you could enlighten me to the considerable other events.
I found 2... 1 was a flap assym landing with no damage... Again, with a looong flare requiring speedbrakes to "ease the baby down"... used about the whole 3000m of runway.

The other, was a late flare on possibly flap15, again under flap assym... result was a write off. However details are not to be disclosed (coz I got it from a leak). If you want to check which one this one was, try the Lion Air 734 in Makassar (UPG/WAAA) in December.

Capn Bloggs, I believe there is a report of early flap difficulties, but that it was resolved (again reportedly). I think the scenario you suggest is a pretty reasonable possibility - leading to the dilema - what inadequate level of flap (and consequent increased speed/landing distance) would be acceptable vs. a divert to a longer runway ...... IF fuel with decreased performance adequate. If you put yourself in that situation, at a certain level of flap - distance is limiting and you've got to make the call of risk balancing.
Try this for the balancing act:
Just out of curiousity, if you're shooting an ILS, and then at 3500AGL (4000ft), 1 dot below glideslope you do the normal thing, gear down, and flap 15, then as you enter the slope, you want to go to the next setting, but then you found an assymetry... say at one wing at 15 and 20 on the other, there's 1 traffic being told to take off in front of you and he's gonna make a tight left turn to "downwind", the runway is 2200m, you're surrounding terrain is:
>2000ft 4NM after the runway, with 1000ft contour about 3NM from the other end of the runway
The terrain to your right is >2500ft extending to your 4 o'clock from your present position,
A mountain to your left where the 1000ft mark is 5NM to your left, and 2000ft at 10NM, thereafter rising rapidly to 10,000ft.
The only escape in front is to the front left at your 10.30
The nearest suitable runway longer than JOG is 400m longer, anything longer than that (3000M) is 250NM away... which is your alternate... over some "nice" terrain.

1. Would you land and risk it bear in mind traffic and terrain and try a max braking landing knowing that under max braking the numbers are OK?
2. Would you go around and re-prepare? (which is probably a good thing given the hindsight)
3. Or would you divert?
Bear in mind a go around on that approach under non-normal (assume Flap Assym) can out you in conflict with the departing traffic, or any of the surrounding terrain.

Remember, hindsight is 20/20... We need to know why he didn't! He might have had a damn good reason not to!

I don't see anything wrong with the approach should this be a flap15 under assym, the problem was the flare... by this time, there are a lot of IFs and COULD HAVE BEENs, the only 2 things are consistent: the runway remaining rapidly running out, and those damn hills at the other end!
---
Collar,
Wanna bet that the CVR would reveal otherwise?
1. We don't drink teh tarik here! That's Malaysia!
2. F/A entering F/D below 10,000 on GA would only be to report "Cabin ready"... and as far as I know, it is strictly applied.

PK-KAR