PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why cant we low timers CFIs get a job?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2007, 01:58
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I was offered a job today I would have moved, not asked for pay or anything, just got there and started to work.

Admirable ambition ToTall, as long as not "asking" for pay does not mean being prepared to work for free. Offering to work for free in this forum, and amongst your colleagues generally, is a sure fire way of wearing a Stinger missile in the tailpipe.

I figure some of the key aspects for a low timer getting a job are:

1. Networking. You've got to get to know pilots who are in paid employment. That's where the hints of upcoming jobs first circulate.

Chief Pilot A rings Chief Pilot B and asks "do you know of anyone available?"

Chief Pilot B asks his line pilots "do you know this guy?"

Line pilots then say "yeah sure, he's OK ...." or "No, never heard of him."
Go figure who's going to get the job.

Get outside the protected environment of the school where you trained at, obviously things aren't going to happen for you there otherwise they would have happened already.

2. CV. Have a 1-page CV with correct gammar and no spelling mistakes (get someone else to proof read it for you). Attach it to a covering letter introducing yourself. Get to the point in your CV. List your relevant qualifications. Don't put in anything that's not relevant, if you've got a rocket science degree don't list it. Chief Pilot thinks this guy has a rocket science degree, why isn't he doing rocket science?

3. Take the initiative and make yourself known. Use the 'phone, follow up with a visit, and be contactable. Don't show up at the office dressed in mufti, but don't go overboard wearing 4 gold bars either!

These are the most important things because you have control over them. You don't have experience on your side so you need to control all of those things that you do have control over. Together with an ounce of luck you just might get lucky, so good luck.