PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian B737 runway overrun/crash
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2007, 23:55
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Hotdog, agreed.

Sinbad,
he would have been performing this landing to perfection and knowing the landing check list by heart.
So? Chuck Yeager still makes mistakes.
The problem could not have been flap asymmetry for two reasons
Where in your quote is flap asymmetry mentioned by the chief pilot? What about if they had selected the first stage of flap at say 10nm, it got stuck there, they upped the speed bugs for the reduced flap setting for landing and decided to continue, not knowing they were going to get hit with undershoot shear during the flare?
If the hard landing would have been the cause of such damage ( I think not) you could only go back to Adam Air and see the difference.
So ALL hard landings result in Adam Air damage? I've been in a few hard landings that have resulted in a bounce/s but the jet hasn't broken apart!
I think the Cabin Crew did a magnificent job under the circumstances, but I cannot see how the pilot would have been doing this, especially when the cockpit section ended up separating from the rest of the fuselage.
It is quite conceivable, considering that both pilots survived, that they got out of the cockpit (if they were still in it) and went back to help the CC with the evacuation. In fact, it's probably in their SOPs to do so.

Dagger
a. Low time Right-seater flying and a quite experienced captain in the LHS being so distracted by the unstable approach that he doesn't lower any flap (normally a RH seater's duty).
Is it Garuda SOP for the right seater to select the flap?

For your information, GPWS, for years, has had a function which warns the crew if not landing at normal landing flap. I very much doubt if this Garuda 737 was not fitted with it. So landing with no flap at all is, to my mind, a complete furphy, unless the crew did it deliberately, which is just not practically believable.

I too come to these types of threads in an effort to learn something. Unfortunately, a worrying number of posts are just pure and utter speculation, full of red herrings, by people who appear to know nothing about what they are talking.

Last edited by Capn Bloggs; 9th Mar 2007 at 00:15.