PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Look alive!
Thread: Look alive!
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2007, 16:25
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Backpacker

I really would caution you when you advise not to inflate the lifejacket even when clear of the aircraft....yes, lifejackets are an encumberance but how long do you reckon you've got in a cold Sea before you loose the use of your hands and are unable to grip the lanyard firmly enough to tug/pull/yank it, or even be able to grab the raft, seat cushion or whatever that you hope is near by. FYI you can deflate most lifejackets by inserting a small item into the opening of the oral inflation valve and opening the non-return valve ( the red tag on the inflation lanyard works quite well.)

For what little it's worth I've done umpteen survival courses (including countless maritime ones ), been in a real, not, simulated aircraft accident and ended up in the Sea - at night - in Winter ......it is not something any simulation can begin to adequately prepare you for. I promise you if it happens to you will be desparately trying to recall every bit of survival advice you've ever been given. With the benefit of that experience I still always give the safety briefing my full attention. What you do is down to you -just don't get in my way on the way out