PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argonaut/North Star Memories and Observations
Old 8th Mar 2007, 15:35
WHBM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Stockport accident :

My brother was among the first police on the scene; he had joined the Stockport police just a couple of months previously. He still has some harrowing recollections as the pax were quite conscious inside the fuselage, which must have been intact at least in part, and they exchanged beats on the windows until the fire overwhelmed them. An attempt was made to break into the fuselage but this was later found to have been made at a structural strong point. I believe the "cut here" markings were a result of this accident (more recently they seem to have disappeared).

I would hope the press didn't do a "narrowly missed a school" story as I seem to recall the accident happened on a Sunday morning.

BOAC fleet :

Yes the Argonaut soldiered on beyond its expectations following the troubles with its turbine successors. The BOAC fleet of Constellations was not notably expanded in the later 1950s as, although a number of secondhand L749s were bought, an equal number of L049s (same size airframe but less capable)went the other way. The Strats were augmented by secondhand examples and dominated the Atlantic, and 10 DC7Cs were ordered. However getting to about 1958-60 the DC7Cs, the Britannias (both sizes), the Comet 4s and finally the first 707s all turned up in quantity pretty much together and it went from shortage to oversupply.

Noise :

An article I read a while ago said many of the long-term Argonaut crews suffered hearing loss in later years, the constant noise having done permanent damage. It was written as if this did not necessarily happen with other contemporary types.