PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argonaut/North Star Memories and Observations
Old 8th Mar 2007, 14:40
ONE GREEN AND HOPING

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadair North Star, the book previously mentioned.

This book is hugely informative, and tracks the history of all 71 airframes. It narrates the Canadian conception, Government discussion, Douglas assistance, and Rolls Royce inputs. Early TCA and RCAF versions were not pressurised. Pressurisation for civilian aircraft, was pretty much a novelty in 1945. I just talked to a friend, and ex boss, who flew Tudors. ( Big old tail dragger, with a Lincoln wing and no cross-over exhausts ) He reminds us of the Tudor's Roots blowers, the F/E's manual spill valves, and problems with cabin ingestion of blower oil misting. The whole system was disabled on some. I think that this shows that Canadair, albeit with help from Roots and Godfrey, must have got it right on the ( first? ) successful pressurised airliner and that it was still a good ride in 1967, says a lot.

Maybe Blowers/ Avro Ashton/ Tudor problems, and Janitrol heaters, could be a possible interesting new thread - or pehaps that one has been and gone!

Referring back to the book again, one of my favourite asides is where in 1946, Canadair, having no milling machine, ferried raw wing spars to Douglas at Santa Monica in their DC3. These spars reached from inside the cockpit by the U/C lever to the lav compartment past the last bulkhead.

If anyone reading this has a copy, I would take issue with P.240. I know about only the four ex BOAC Argonauts that I flew in as a lucky 22 year old free-lance/contract co-pilot in 1964/65. ( lucky, because, at that time, jobs were scarce for low time pilots ) G-ALHM was not ferried to Castle Donington for breaking on 09SEP65. It was standing on the ramp at RAF Gutersloh on the 13th. I don't much trust my selective memory, but I'm looking at my logbook. The next day we flew 6hrs:15 to Bardufoss in G-ALHI ( see deeper trivia section, next paragraph ) Some months after converting to the Brit, I volunteered to ferry G-ALHM from Redhill to Castle Don on 09MAR66. This time, it really was for spares and tin-foil. I had never flown a big aeroplane off grass, and I remember the two of us testing the going, like a couple of Cricket captains strolling out to inspect the pitch. In the event, it shot off like a greased weasel........At the time, I was a member of the Tiger club at Redhill, and dropping indoors for a cup of tea, a few days later, had to keep shtum, when someone, reasonably, was howling about the ruts we left after the engine runs.....sorry about that. If it's any consolation, I nearly stuffed an Auster into an Argonaut rut at Burnaston myself.

Best Argonaut moment. After dropping off about 70 Territorial SAS at Bardufoss ( kick off point in Norway for NATO exercise areas ) My Captain sugested, for sentimental reasons, we might care to re-trace his steps of over 20 years previously, when in a Mosquito, he had been sniffing around for the Turpitz. The opposition had parked it ( according to Google, just now ) deep amongst the Fjords near Tromso. Just off a small island called Hakoya. We filed VFR, and after take off, dropped down just off the coast for the most exhilarating low level tour up a fjord, you can do that doesn't involve signing up with the military, or cruising with P&O. If there were any natives around, maybe fishing, very early that morning, they will have heard us. When we popped up again to set course for CPH, The Norwegan Airforce ATC was about to blow the whistle, and words were exchanged............... Brilliant day out though.