PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rabbits at OMAA
Thread: Rabbits at OMAA
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2007, 11:51
Alpha 6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences from rabbits

From Wikipedia:

Hares do not bear their young below ground in a burrow as do other Leporidae, but rather in a shallow depression or flattened nest of grass called a form. Young hares are adapted to the lack of physical protection offered by a burrow by being born fully furred and with eyes open. They are hence able to fend for themselves very quickly after birth, that is to say they are precocial. By contrast, the related rabbits and cottontail rabbits are altricial, having young that are born blind and hairless.
All rabbits (except the cottontail rabbits) live underground in burrows or warrens, while hares (and cottontail rabbits) live in simple nests above the ground, and usually do not live in groups. Hares are generally larger than rabbits, with longer ears, and have black markings on their fur. Hares have not been domesticated, while rabbits are often kept as house pets. In gardens, they are typically kept in hutches, small, wooden, house-like boxes that protect the rabbits from the environment and predators.
The hare's diet is very similar to that of the rabbit.

Blackhat10,
I think you really can't tell if it's a hare or a rabbit especially if you are inside a taxiing or taking-off airplane. I will have a good look next time so that I can confirm it.

Cheers,

A6