PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Look alive!
Thread: Look alive!
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2007, 11:16
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiggy, I've never been in an aircraft that had rearward facing seating except the seats for the crew. (Lucky bastards. Rear facing seating is much more secure in case of a crash.) And the only real thing to remember with regards to the brace position is that you are protecting yourself from severe forward accelleration (actually, the plane decellerating and you not). So you need to get each body part as far forward as possible until you're either restrained by your seat belt or by whatever happens to be in front of you, preferably in a way that protects your face. Same for all aircraft and too dependent on your exact body size and seating position to be covered adequately in the safety brief. Feet forward or backwards? Seems like company policy, not airplane characteristics to me.

And indeed, the method of attaching the life vest around your body (behind your back) may be different. I cannot believe that any life vest would be attached with a double knot and that the cabin crew would be able to explain how to tie a double knot properly, securely and tight within the space of the 30 seconds that the safety briefing lasts. Otherwise, it's buckles of some sort mating with another clip of some sort. Can't be very hard to figure out, and even if I did pay attention to the safety lecture, that would not be something that would strike my mind as something particularly important. You guys pay as much attention to the exact way the straps are done up as to the presence of a location light on the shoulders that activates automatically. One ear in, other ear out.

Quick test. Find a passenger that did pay attention to the safety brief. An hour later, give him a lifejacket and ask him to put it on properly. Will he fumble with the straps or not. And if not, is that attributable to the safety brief or the proper design of the life jacket?

Two tabs or one... I'll find out when I need them. More important would be to tell me to "jerk" the tabs violently, instead of "pull" them. The simple tug that the flight attendent gives on the tabs on the demo jacket will not do to pierce a CO2 cylinder, AFAIK. (But I realise that if you would demonstrate a proper jerk, these demo jackets will not last long...)

Don't get me wrong. I'm a private pilot. I do a safety brief for my passengers, trying to tell them what's really important, before the flight. I wear a life vest for large overwater crossings. I have been on a maritime survival course, with exercises like escaping from a ditched and flipped over helicopter. But I also happen to be SLF on long-haul flights, just trying to explain my attitude towards the safety brief, under the assumption that my opinion will be shared with most of my fellow passengers. And as far as I can tell, the safety brief is exactly the same, for each and every company and type of airplane. If you want people to pay attention to the safety brief because you claim that each aircraft is different, start by stressing the differences.