PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Serv International - Threads Merged
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2007, 00:52
poorwanderingwun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AirServ is very well known and has featured regularly in these columns...
I suggest you check the search section... remembering that AirServ has no e on the end... you'll get reams of info..
US (Warrenton, Va ) based NGO.... started 20 odd years ago as a spin-off from MAF with less emphasis on interfering with peoples beliefs and superstitions and more on getting people what they need to keep themselves alive. Nowadays it competes for contracts alongside the mostly South African companies flying in Africa such as NAC, NorseAir, Qwila, Executive Turbine etc… Less emphasis on the Humanitarian aspects and more on the reality of keeping the NGO viable.

It’s quite likely that they are in need of crews in this market as experienced people are thin on the ground and AirServ in spite of being a non-profit NGO offers only about half the salary that others offer and does not operate a ‘tour‘ system ie: 6 weeks or 2 months on followed by a month or whatever off…. You’re stuck in what can be a very uncomfortable location for probably a year or so… I believe that their operation in Afgahnistan has an RandR system but here in Africa it doesn’t apply. They work hand in hand with a South African company called Naturelink who own many (maybe most) of the aircraft being operated by airserv… Naturelink pay more like the going rate and find the money to pay for the transport costs of crews flying regularly up an down to South Africa as they work on a 6 weeks on 6 weeks off basis, this causes a lot of discomfort to AirServ crews, which is why few of them return to Airserv at the end of their contract… Airserv have never pursued a policy formed to encourage long term employment of their crews and have been content to rely on the enthusiasm of people wanting to help bring aid to Africa… In fact very little of what I used to do with Airserv was easily recognised as aid work in the sense that we understand it and anyway you will be on much better terms and conditions doing exactly the same work for a South African company which is why I’m sitting here now looking forward to a 6 week break…
Not sure what levels of experience they’re currently looking for… I know that in Afghanistan the capt’s have to have 500 hrs on type but like many companies this may change as the market dries up which it’s doing rapidly…. Best bet is to look at the web-site and find out who to contact..I’ve lost touch a bit with who does what… I know that they’re having a new building put up in Warrenton so who knows.. maybe they’ll find more money for the poor B*ggers stuck out in the bush… but more likely it’ll be used as an excuse for not having more money ! Good luck.