PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Look alive!
Thread: Look alive!
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2007, 17:35
GrahamB73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'll confess to being a bit blasé about the safety briefing but it's simply due to repetition and familiarity. The line "because it may differ from other aircraft" doesn't really apply to me as I make the same flight every week - BMI EDI - LHR on an Airbus 319 (I think). It's usually the exact same aircraft, not even just the same model.

It's very difficult to pay attention when you HAVE heard the same thing every week for the past 4 months. Especially when it's a video briefing where the CC only do the "exits are over there" routine and nothing else (as it is on my regular flights).

However, what I've certainly never done is rustle a paper or talk to someone else or anything else distracting. Just because you have little attention/interest doesn't give you the right to distract others.

Anyway, I actually read this thread yesterday and decided not to comment until I'd flown down today (I fly back tomorrow) to specifically have a look around the cabin at the various reactions. I was actually rather surprised at how few people were watching. I'd estimate 10% at the most. But then, like me, I suspect the vast majority of pax on that flight were regular commuters so
it's kind of understandable.

I did meet the eyes of one of the CC who gave me a "eyes to heaven" look when I glanced at a bloke noisily changing pages in his broadsheet but that was the sum total of interaction between him and the pax during that briefing.

So, for what it's worth, I think video briefings are a "bad thing" (TM), especially for regular commuters. Unless hearing things by rote makes it sink in, I guess.

We (ie BMI passengers) get the Captain annoucning the briefing but, again, it's delivered in a "oh by the way, listen to this yet again" kind of tone. I think that's also prevalent in the spoken briefings too - you get the distinct impression it's just being read off a card - you're being read at, not spoken to. Monotones are never good for imparting information.

My two pennorth would be public speaking training for CC (if it's not already) and groundstaff actually. I've heard some shockingly unintelligible announcements from crew over the years. A little engagement and life in the briefings would get a few more ears paying attention.

Sorry, I'm rambling

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'll be paying a bit more attention from now on thanks to this thread.