PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian B737 runway overrun/crash
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2007, 13:07
BobbyPAX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me...a cameraman

As a professional camera man, I put my case that I often have video in hand during the flight. You need to bear in mind that many news people these days carry very small units. The days of the hulking shoulder jobs has gone.Camera is my life and livelihood and as such I feel a responsibilty to capture such moments providing it does not impede rescue attempts.
As some have said here, the story is important to ensure that it highlights problems with the safety or industry.
I, for one, feel safer bringing these matters into the open and knowing they're being fully investigated.
Some of your writers have said 'look at the flap settings', and that could indeed be useful at some time.
I have developed a kind of sixth sense over the years of where everyone is about me. That means that I am aware if I'm in the way, and make sure I notice and observe things of importance.
I can't have a collision with a top politician or stray into a mine field !
I would also sum up if I could be of assistance and drop the camera instantly if that was the case, as would most.
Do not forget the number of camera people killed highlighting news stories and bringing things to the public eye, and bear that in mind when saying that he 'grabbed his valuable camera and saved himself'.
The poor guy had survived a plane crash and was still doing his job !

Thoughts with those who lost someone in this terrible crash.

Bob.