PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Noise Cancelling Headset - David Clark X11 or Bose?
Old 6th Mar 2007, 11:52
Reverseflowkeroburna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up DC's for me!

Done to death it may have been.................but I didn't have these X-11's then!

I've had the DC's for a month now. The first set of alkaline batteries lasted for about 35 flt. hrs. with a red warning indicator giving about 10 hrs. Now either the rechargeables that replaced them did not retain their charge or they were not fully charged, but their performance (the batteries) was very mediocre. This set of rechargeables has been much better, including surviving a 6.5 hr day yesterday, no probs!

Whilst I felt the Bose set were both more comfortable and had better active attenuation, I went with the DC's for following reasons:
- Trust in the brand. My last set have survived ten years and barely missed a beat.
- Apparent durability of the design. The DC's seemed to be stronger.
- A design philosophy that anticipated pilots wanting to hear noises from 'under the bonnet.'
- I couldn't see the leather seals on the Bose being much fun in the heat where I fly.
- I felt the Bose ear seals were somewhat more compromised by the arms on my sunnies and were also not suited to cloth covers (see above).

Now, I can hear some of you saying that I could turn the ANR off for T.O. in the single-engined beasts and enjoy the Bose peace & quiet later on at will, I do this anyway. What I can say is that my head is just as comfortable inside these cans after 7 hrs of flying as when I first put them on!

As was said on one of those earlier done-to-death threads; whichever ANR set you choose, just go ANR! For the sake of your poor ole ears....just do it!