PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 150-160kt cruisers
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2007, 09:49
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the A36 and TB20 are getting good "reviews" (and they are good aircraft) I am going to "defend" the DA42 - for a bit of fun.

In his first post FF did not mention whether it HAD to be a single but perhaps his second post implied a single. If that is so the 42 is out but -

1. Twins are usually excluded because of the higher fuel burn and maintenance. The 42 using A1 changes that, having a significantly less costly fuel burn with both engines that Avgas singles,

2. Safety - I know all the cracks about the second engine taking you to .. .. .. , however over water, inhospitable terrain and in IMC the second engine provides some comfort and naturally you spend a lot less time thinking about where you might land if it goes quite,

3. It is a true four seater, and with full fuel and at max take off it even climbs OK on one engine (a few too many twins dont do that). Moreover with the extended tanks it will happily get you to the south of France and beyond without a stop if that is your thing,

4. It is fully de iced (certified), usually fitted with a storm scope and / or weather radar, traffic and terrain. I dont think certified de-icing is available on either the 20 or the A1. It is therefore a nearly an all weather platform (as much as any light aircraft),

5. It is new, so whilst with that come somes problems (warranty issue will arise, changes in the design will be made etc), the warranty appears pretty sound, the checks are only once every 100 hours and the engines are "guaranteed" to TBO. At least in the first few years the maintenance cost should be very low. Demand is so strong depreciation may also be reasonable,

6. If you have not used glass before it is worth a try. As an instrument platform I think the G1000 is unsurpassed in GA. It really works, everything is at your figure tips and fully coupled approaches down minima including if required the procedure before are there for simply dialing up as is the required information for any where in Europe,

7. Cross winds are a non event - I suspect on a dry runway 40 knots may be possible and 25 knots is straight forward,

8 and finally, almost the aspect that impresses me most, is just how noise free the cabin is. All the vibrations and and low level reasonance that seems to come with any Avgas engine is absent and the cockpit is almost headphone free. If you have the family in mind then it comes across as being a far more comfortable aircraft that most and the passengers will love the "security" of the extra engine (whatever the truth may be).