PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EMIRATES - Wannabees & Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2007, 08:42
ands

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My EK Open Day experience

Hi everyone.

If you look back through this thread, you'll notice that i asked a whole heap of questions about an Open Day that i was planning on attending in mid-February. Unfortunately, i didn't make it through the (incessant) group rounds on the second day, but here is a really brief round down of what happened to me.

Arrived about 45mins prior to the start of the Open Day. There were already about 25 people there at that point. By the time the Open Day started, there would have been way more than 150 people. They had to split the group. They simply filled the room up, and once they missed their maximum number, they asked everyone not in the room to come back in about 2 hours. So my advice, get there early and stay close the the front. Obviously don't push infront of people if they are already there, but definitely don't think to yourself: "Oh, i'm going to go and come back at nine". Unless you want to hang around.

So, got into the Open Day. There wasn't much to it. Simply hand in your C.V. and photos, the recruiter will ask a few questions, and that's it. Just be yourself. I was seated fairly close to the recruiters' desk, and there were a lot of people who just came across as trying "too hard". There were also people who forced conversations with the recruiters. I thought this was a little selfish: The recruiters had a lot of people to get through, everyone wanted to get their C.V. in and there were who knows how many people waiting for the next session/s. I just smiled, responded to what the recruiter asked, added information where necessary, etc. My interaction lasted a minute at the most. The interviewer wouldn't take anything extra (not that i offered, because i'd heard her refuse to take other peoples' documents). But take along everything, just in case your recruiter works differently/the process changes. Better to be prepared.

While people were handing in their C.Vs, everyone else just watched videos about EK and the Dubai, etc, and talked with each other.

Went home. Got a phone call to come back the next day.

Came back the next day. Was surprised that some people hadn't received a call back. In particular, two very genuine and engaging people who I think would have been ideal. However, i'm (obviously) not the one to decide. Anyway, this day just involved group round, a cull, group round, a cull, and so on. I didn't make it through the group rounds. However, can i just say be yourself. I felt that most people were being themselves in my sessions.

There is no point projecting a false image. I was myself the whole way through the process and it actually worked in my favour. "How?" I can hear you ask. "You didn't get through!" Yes, i didn't get through, but to be entirely honest, i'm not sure that my personality type is totally suited to EK. Each company has a unique culture, and i just don't think that EK is the best fit for me. I might reapply/attend another Open Day (just incase the impression of EK i got was a little skewed), but i think i'll also look into other airlines as well. Before the Open Day, i was really focused on EK (EK was my first airline recruitment experience). After the Open Day, however, i am a lot more open to other airlines. A 'perspective gaining' experience

I know that i have only vaguely described the day, but I don't think there is any point going into detail about a process that may change. Just show up and go with the flow!

Good luck everyone.

BRISBANEemirates

Re: passport photos

I had the same dillema. I just took along a head and photos shot and passport photos and asked the recruiter which one she would like to take. She said i could choose, so i don't think it matters.
Re: documents to prove your education.
The impression i got was that they'd ask for these when the time came (eg at the final interview). Take them with you just in case they do take them on the day.
Re: attire after the Open Day
I didn't notice any difference in people's dress after the Open Day. I'd say that girls will get away with a shirt and skirt, but it's probably safer to go for a skirt-suit.

Hope that helps! Good luck!