PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAM Query
Thread: RAM Query
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2000, 19:14
Dr. Red

That's all good - because your BIOS is of a standardised type supposed to autodetect memory - and it's obvious the memory isn't being detected by the BIOS.

However, the POST does give some indication the memory installed is OK. So, I think the memory is probably fine, it's just not being detected.

To answer your initial questions:
a)The discrepancy is (probably) due to the bios.

b)Your computer is not recognising your valuable memory!

c)Only the 15MB is available to your programs currently.

d)What should you do? Read on...

Your BIOS version is fairly outdated, and there are compatibility issues with Award BIOS’s dated prior to 10/28/98. So you might need a "flash" upgrade for it to detect the memory... The Asus BP6 had a similar problem a while ago, which was fixed with a BIOS update.

What I would recommend first is for you to do is to thoroughly look around your BIOS setup (press DEL or ESC during startup) and look for any settings referring to "OS2 / Non-OS2 Mode". If this setting exists (I actually doubt it), then set it to Non-OS2 and see what difference it makes. (If you aren't confident going into the bios, I would skip this step)

Next, I would look at getting a BIOS upgrade. You have to be careful doing this. I would recommend first downloading the BIOS WIZARD from the Award Software site: http://www.unicore.com/bioswiz/bwz.exe

Once that's done, I can tell you what you need to do next...

------------------
There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Red (edited 08 September 2000).]