PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 150-160kt cruisers
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2007, 06:38
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The above jogged my memory... I too got it down to the A36 v. the TB20.

The Bonanza was described (by engineer friends) as the best engineered light plane around - built like a King Air. I would agree with that, having seen the innards of both at a maint facility. However, the only thing I have been able to fault on the TB build quality is their occassional use of cheap Molex connectors to things like wing lights. The rest of the wiring is absolutely to aerospace standards and has to be seen to be believed (recent year TB20GT I am referring to).

I never flew a Bo so can't comment on handling but - high aileron forces aside - a TB20 can be chucked around in chandelles and lazy eights perfectly easily, busting the FL055 Class A in much of southern UK at the top of the chandelle if you aren't careful. All pilots who have flown it, much more widely experienced than me, have not been able to fault it. The last one, an Airbus ATP / instructor, was amazed at the way you can drop the gear & flaps at the GS intercept and it just sits there with the needles centred all the way down to 200ft... the stability/precision is awesome compared to the PA28s I flew in most of my instrument training.

The Bo had at least 1.5x higher fuel flow rate for the same cruise speed as the TB20 (as far as I could find out from the universally misleading sales data in this business) and this was a big factor for me, not needing the 6 seats or the cockpit volume. A TB20 will carry 3 normal-sized people 1200nm (to zero fuel, anywhere between sea level and FL150) but for 2/3-week holidays is really a 2-seater, not because you could not take 3 and all their junk but because decent European legs (long enough to get away from English weather) tend to be 4-5 hrs and you need room to move about, have privacy on the "loo", etc. I can well see an A36 would do the same for 4 people but they would still need to know each other well

The DA40 is not at all in the same class for going places, which basically leaves the SR22.